Forms of hosting solutions
A hosting service pertains to keeping and/or sharing certain web content on a hosting server hosted by a web hosting vendor. There are different categories of hosting services used for different aims, so let's study them. In that way, you can conclude what you need, on the basis of whether you desire to own a web portal, mail addresses, or to share files with pals and partners.
- File hosting: a service delivered by given providers, which permits you to share bulky files. These could be disk images, movies, audio files, archived documents, and so on. This solution is also known as file storage, and its only designation is to share files, since it does not offer site uploading. As soon as the files are uploaded, you will either obtain a randomly created download link for each of them, or you will be able to see a roster of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to load .html or .php web files in your browser. Free-of-charge file storage solutions are frequently supported by displaying advertisements next to the download links, while a timer makes you await a particular spell of time to view them. A given file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you purchase a paid file hosting account, there are no restrictions as to how many files you can upload/download right away, and also there is no limitation with regard to the download speed or the file size.
These days, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting suppliers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more fashionable "cloud hosting". This is a totally mistaken interpretation of the real connotation of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting environment would distribute the load between independent groups of hosting servers in a cluster, which are devoted to attending miscellaneous hosting services (electronic mail, disk space, stats, DNS, databases, site hosting CP, and so on.) So, the file hosting service is simply a sort of a storage space hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: resembling file hosting; some corporations provide a hosting service for pictures solely. This hosting brand is good if you want to share a vast amount of images with buddies or colleagues since the solution is typically free of charge. You will obtain a randomly generated link for each and every image or album and you can then share this link. As with the file hosting service, .html and .php files are not supported, so the service cannot be used for web pages.
- Email hosting: a solution devoted to handling your e-mail box accounts. Some providers offer web hosting solutions for web sites, but do not supply an email hosting solution. If you want to launch an email address with your domain name but do not want to run a web site, then the e-mail hosting solution is what you require. You can create email accounts and manage them, but there will be no web service for the domains. The email hosting service includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP e-mail servers.
- Video hosting: this service permits you to upload and share video files. You can either share a link to a particular video clip, or you can embed the video clip in your website that is hosted elsewhere. The benefit of utilizing this approach instead of uploading the video clip in a hosting account is that the video clip brings about a particular amount of CPU load, so with a bunch of video clips and a few hundred site viewers, you may have difficulty with your hosting reserves. Embedding the video file will enable you to have as many video clips as you want without hassling about system supplies.
- Web hosting: this is the solution that you need if you wish to run a site. To a certain extent, it contains all of the aforesaid hosting forms since, along with your web pages, you can also host pictures and files, you can have databases and mail accounts, upload video clips, and so on. At Free Hostia, for instance, you can observe web hosting and dedicated server hosting accounts that enable you to get all of the aforementioned services in one single location. There may be restrictions based on the form of hosting service that you've opted for - a free hosting account, a paid shared hosting plan, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your hosting package may be better or worse compared to the standard e-mail/file/video/image hosting accounts that are made for specific web content only.